You know those times that people just start throwing out there the things that they just loathe that others do? Can't you think of some of those things that others do that just makes your blood boil?
One of mine is the inability that some have to employ basic spelling and/or arithmetic skills. You may find it bothersome that someone spits on you whilst talking, or that he or she can't seem to find it within themselves to wash their hands after using the facilities.
All in all I seem to find it very easy to point out things that I either dislike or flat out HATE that other people do. I think we have a great tendency to do so.
However, as I once had this conversation with some friends, I realized how much of a negative effect this can have on the human mind and - more importantly - soul. If I constantly think about all of the terrible things others do or how I don't like this or that about my friends or family, how could I possibly seek to develop quality relationships that are expected to last? This even applies to complete strangers. How can I accomplish desires of doing good to all men if I primarily see the things that irk me so!
Therefore, I posed the question that I also pose to everyone:
"What is something that others do that you just love?
I love it so much when someone has the decency to say a simple 'Thank you' to recognize a good deed. Gratitude is beautiful! When somebody picks up a piece of trash on their way in to the library, I can't help but think kindly about him or her. Each time a parent takes a simple opportunity to teach his or her child in an everyday setting, I get a little more hope for the future. I cherish the opportunities to see evidence that my brother and his wife love each other. (That goes for other friends/family/neighbors, too.) I get so excited to see how others have a desire to be a better human being by setting and achieving goals. That one crazy guy who speaks his mind no matter what earns a couple points in my book for keeping things real. When I see the look in someone's eye that they care about me, I thank God for letting me be around them.
As my mind turns to the positive attributes and actions of others, I find it easier to be happy. Serving them becomes quite simple and sought after. Life becomes much more enjoyable. Stress seems worth it and even lessens a little bit.
What is something that others do that you just love? What is your Pet Fave?
I feel like a bit of a stalker commenting on your blog, since I haven't really talked to you since what, high school? But I stumbled across this blog post (long story) and I really wanted to tell you how much I enjoyed it. I've also noticed that when I focus on what people do that annoys me, I start fixating on it; it starts to become the only thing I notice about that person, and I forget that he or she is infinitely better and more valuable than I'm allowing them to be. But though I'm trying not to focus on things people do that I hate, I didn't think of trying to replace it with things people do that I love. So I'm going to start. And in answer to your question: I love polite children. I'm a sucker for anyone under 14 who says "Please." And I love that their parents felt inspired to teach their children that we should all respect and be kind to each other.
ReplyDelete